Sunday, January 10, 2021

I'll Talk With You

I've been trying to be more open about what I feel are issues of morality and ethics. In the wake of the insurrection and attempted coup that resulted in storming the Capitol building on January 6th I felt it was overdue for me to speak my peace on social media. 

Today an old family friend made a comment on a post I had made that immediately resonated as hypocritical to me. It was so ridiculous, that I tapped the laughing emoji reaction. But as I did so, I felt bad. A wave of guilt washed over me, as though the simple click of a button served only to mock this person, and that nothing constructive could come of it. 

Then I heard a line from a song enter my mind:

"If you don't talk as most people do, some people talk and laugh at you, but I won't. I won't."

I removed the laughing emoji reaction and hoped she didn't see, but it made me ponder this new political interpretation of the primary song I loved so much as a child, and I saw so many layers of meaning beyond the surface.

I may choose not to speak or reply to some right now. I may choose to distance myself, but it's not because I hate you. It's because I love you and don't want to say something I may regret later because my perspective is so different from yours.

For now... "That's how I'll show my love for you."

3 comments:

  1. In our group conversations since then, we all agree that we (as in all of us) can do a better job of loving first and not speaking unless it is something that will edify. I love you. I will always love you. And the older I get, everything beyond love is just not that important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so insightful. Thanks for letting me share it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining that. It’s very wise and makes a lot of sense. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete