Monday, January 25, 2016

The Blessings of Getting Set Apart

Post 2/3

Two weeks ago I stayed after church to get set apart for my new calling: Sunbeam C Teacher for Primary. I had neglected to do so for weeks with my previous Primary Secretary Calling and didn't bother getting it done at all when I was called for a brief time as Relief Society Substitute, but Brother Phillips said that all Primary Teachers should get set apart, and I had nothing to lose, so I went in.

Brother Phillips, who is over the primary in the bishopric, gave me my blessing. I don't tell many people about my fears and aspirations or anxieties, so it surprised me when he almost immediately led off with my fears of being able to handle having 4 children.

I was promised that the baby would be healthy and strong, which had weighed on my mind for some time. I was blessed that I would be able to handle another child, and that I when I did feel overly stressed, that putting on wholesome, spiritual music would create an atmosphere of calm and help bring a spirit of peace into the home. I was also blessed with the reassurance that when I felt overwhelmed that I could turn to the Lord and He would help.

Way less was said about my calling itself, but it was all good things. My lessons apparently won't always go to plan, but my being a teacher to those children will build a foundation for them throughout their lives.

I have a great deal of love for those crazy sunbeams, but it's had an added effect. Teaching them has helped me see my own children in a different light. It's helped me love them with a new layer, a layer of love for a child that only came to me after being called as a primary teacher.

I am grateful that I was set apart. I really felt like God was speaking through Brother Phillips, and it was awesome that I got all of those "bonus blessings" about having a baby. Being a primary teacher is really hard, but I'm glad I'm there to help.

1 comment: